Money Saving Recipe: Aunt Ginny’s Ham with Scalloped Potatoes
Saving time and money is a good thing. Saving effort is nice too. Crockpots make that much easier.
You will need:
- 12 medium potatoes (about 5 pound bag minus three) [we grew our own, but a bag cost about $2.99]
- 1 and ½ pounds of cooked ham cut up. Leftovers work great [figure $1.99 a pound, $2.98]
- 1 small onion, [we grew our own, but at 5 for $2, $0.40]
- 1 Cup of water [to small to do the math]
- two 10 ¾ oz cans of Campbell’s cream of cheddar soup, OR one 16 oz jar of Ragu’s Creamy Double Cheese sauce. [Soup, $1.87 per can; Sauce $1.99]
Total cost: between $8.36 and $10.11 for 12 servings, a cost of $0.70 to $0.89 a serving.
How to make:
- Peal and slice potatoes (about 15 minutes)
- Cut up onion (2 minutes)
- Cut up Ham, cubes or strips (5 minutes)
- Combine soup or sauce with water (2 minutes)
- Grease Crockpot, then layer potatoes and ham and onion (3 minutes)
- Poor soup/sauce over it all, cover then set to Low for 6-8 hours.
Total prep time: 27 minutes if you’re slow.